Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Things to do for self betterment - list 1 - day 1



I am off work for a few days as I have decided to make and do a list of things for self betterment and hopefully do the things on the list.  It is a pre-emptive strike as what usually happens when I am off for a few days is I get a phone call from my friend who gives me a list of things to do.  I may get subsequent phone calls during the day to check on my progress and sometimes an unannounced visit with clipboard, disappointed shaking of head and many, many tuts.

Today's list for self betterment / increased happiness is

  • sort out my spare room.  I never go in so it is wasted space.  It has become a cupboard.  I am going to get rid of the bed in there today as it rarely gets used and takes up too much space.  I am also going to further reduce the contents of the spare room by a half
  • find some residential voluntary work overseas.  I am currently deciding between helping elephants in Thailand and doing some conservation work in New York.  I suspect I will end up doing neither but I am going to at least think about it
  • buy a book on script writing and look into a creative writing class.  I have decided that I don't do enough interesting things to be a consistently interesting blogger so wonder if I shouldn't think about writing down some of the fantastical things that I make up in my head.  I have decided to become a famous writer of fiction.
  • Read some more blogs and read some advice about blogging
  • Clean my windows. 
  • Contemplate becoming a lawyer as suggested by friends and browse legal wigs
  • Sort out my Oot The Back Garden - I haven't been out there for days and I have plants I need to tend to
  • De triffid and stir my compost bin.  There is what looks like a triffid growing in my compost bin.  I think it needs to come out.  I also need to work up the courage to stir it but this may require a blindfold and gloves as there are horrific creatures at every turn
  • Buy a blindfold (as above)
  • Harvest, make an inventory of and organise by product my spirits (gin, rum, whisky etc)
  • Think about painting the flat and deciding what colours to use
  • Think about buying some new furniture and cut out pictures from an Argos catalogue in pursuit of same
  • Clean out contents of my fridge and add to compost bin
  • Open bokashi recycling bin which has been fermenting for a year.  Take and post photographs of the micro-nation which will have formed in this time and add it to my compost bin.  Refill bokashi bin with things I have been saving in the fridge for such an event
  • Go to the sea side 
  • Consider the pros and cons of converting to Catholicism 
  • Buy new glasses so I can see things
  • Begin process of engaging in none-fidgeting self help or at least ponder on the necessity of
  • Throw away old toilet brush and go buy a new toilet brush
  • Research which new camera to buy
  • Find an excuse to use my drill - use drill, pretend to be a person who drills things and narrate drilling tips to self

I have set myself a lot of targets for today and I hope to achieve perhaps 10% of them.  For now, I shall eat my lemon cup cake from Lidl, drink some coffee, nosey at peoples' facebook photo albums and listen to The Pogues very, very loud.  I shall start on my list ... in a bit.


3 comments:

Mazza said...

FFS Flossie, if I could achiveve all of that IN A YEAR I'd be happy.

As you know, my life is a permanent "holiday", so I have learned a few things about dealing with down-time. Here is my advice for enjoying your holiday: take it easy, learn to enjoy the delights of putting your feet up and reading a good book, only do things when (and if) you feel like doing them; tear up your list (it will only torment you when you see things undone);if you must do a list, include only three DO-ABLE things on it per day; sleep when you feel tired, eat when you feel hungry; learn to listen to your body / your mind / your emotions and then do what they are telling you to do.

That's my recipe for good living - I know it's different for me because I am sick, but some of it might apply to you too. What do you think?

Jo said...

I think I love the bones of you is what I think Mazz.

Yeah, did nothing from my list. I went for a 'lay down' after posting that and had an EPIC dream about vampires. I was trying to remember it so I could write a book and live off the land but I think it was probably a composite of Bram Stoker and the lark.

Will we make this my list for the year then? I agree x

Mazza said...

Love the bones of you too Flos!

Aye, I am agreeable to making it your list for the coming year, if not a 5-Year Plan......

I'd be scared stiff if I had dreams about vampires!

xxxxxxx