Friday, 3 June 2011

Future Glasgow - what do you think?


Glasgow City Council is currently asking us what we would like Glasgow to look like in 2061

Now, I have always fancied myself as a town planner and I love Glasgow and I live here so I am interested in this.  

My hopes for Glasgow in 2061 are (in no particular order)
  1. better pavements and no potholes so I and other gracefully challenged citizens don't fall over
  2. ongoing maintenance and expansion of our parks and regular cleaning of the reptile house in Queens Park
  3. increase the options for allotment spaces in Glasgow for the betterment of every one's health, encourage allotment and gardening co-operatives  and provide practical support to people to start and maintain roof top gardens
  4. better use of the Clyde river including floating restaurants, pubs and cafes
  5. everyone who wants a job, has a job 
  6. better use of our excellent universities for short courses for the public
  7. ongoing investment and maintenance of the Glasgow lights project because I think it is brilliant
  8. The Waterfront pub in the Gorbals is closed and never opens again, more Tapas bars and authentic American style diners
  9. cultural and religious diversity is encouraged, embraced and celebrated 
  10. the Subway system is extended to the east end of Glasgow and beyond and is regularly cleaned and ventilated
  11. Glasgow becomes officially recognised as the capital of Scotland 
  12. regulation and / or abolition of rogue housing factors and private landlords
  13. a poverty strategy for the city and the end of sectarian discrimination and abuse
  14. increase access to recycling bins for people living in the city centre who do not have a car
  15. Glasgow to be twinned with New York, New York and a super speed shuttle to be set up to link the two finest cities in the world

You can make your views known here by the 30th June after which a draft city vision will be published for public consultation this autumn.  There is an online form which asks a number of questions and there will be a public event later in the month that you can register your interest in - perhaps see you there?

No comments: