As per my list of things to do, I went out there today and I have decided to retire from gardening as I am clearly no good at it despite how relaxing I find it.
My plastic water butt for conserving rain water fell over ages ago and the tap broke. I have a new tap from eBay now but it has been sat in a drawer for 6 months. I bought 4 small plastic greenhouses after my experience during the winter of things getting very cold and dying. Each one has at some point fallen over in the last 6 months and not one of them hasn't got something that is bent in some way. False economy but I am convinced if I spent a lot of money on an expensive one, it would fall over too.
| Little Parsley plant from seed - lone survivor |
I sowed a tonne of herbs before we had terribly bad winds in Scotland and they all but one fell over and were found in a heap several days later. It rains so much that things get waterlogged and rot and when it doesn't rain, I don't remember to water things often enough.
| Spearmint is my saviour |
Basically, it feels like everything is dying on me. The only thing I can grow superbly is Night Flowering Catchfly, Coriander, Spearmint, wild flowers and weeds. I really don't know where I am going wrong. Is it me, is it the environment I am in? Is it luck? What is it? I am so annoyed with myself here for letting living and breathing and potentially living and breathing things die.
| Ailing tomato plants from seed |
The only thing in my Oot the back garden that is going superbly is my dalek compost bin. It must be the most popular compost bin in Glasgow for slugs and the like. Which is good I grant you but if I had to chose, it would be the one thing I would merrily be rubbish at.
Do I chuck the gardening and move on to a new hobby or do I read more and learn more and persevere more? I am at a crossroads in my brief career as a gardener.
6 comments:
The spearmint looks lovely! You clearly shouldn't give up given the pleasure you get from gardening and no-one masters anything immediately. Maybe you should think seriously about moving somewhere you could have an actual living real life garden?
Yes, I am starting to think that moving to an actual garden might be wise!
Don't give up on your gardening, practice makes perfect. The Mint looks lovely, the parsley is ok and your little tomato plants just need to be transplanted to larger containers. Keep that thumb green!
Kathy White
I repotted a lot of the wee tomato plants today. Great advice Kathy and if I could ever get a garden looking as amazing as yours does, oh I would be happy! Right, I have stopped feeling sorry myself and am keeping it up. Thank you :-)
I kill everything. I have killed cacti. Not just once, mind you, but 3 separate cactus death incidents. I currently have violets on my windowsill that never made it past sprout stage and are rapidly dying. If it can survive in my yard with no help ok, but if it needs me in any way, it's dead. Compared to me, you're the Jolly Green Giant, or a farmer or something.
Oh let me be a farmer!
Post a Comment