Friday, 17 June 2011

It is Russian and it is beautiful

I have this love of Russian folk music.  It goes back to my gift of a Jeanne Bichevskaya album by some friendly Russian visitors to the Bolton Kremlin (that would be my house growing up by the way) during the miners strike.

I came across this song which makes me cry every time I hear it.  Not I thought because it was especially sad but because musically and vocally it is just sumptuous and I am a sucker for epic sumpt.

I googled the lyrics and have come across the following translation which I hope is accurate http://www.opland-freeman.com/TOlyr.htm.

Tonkaya Ryabina

Why do you stand, swaying, slender ash tree,
your head bent over your roots?
And across the way, over the broad river,
likewise alone, stands a tall oak tree.
How could I, as the ash tree, go to the oak?
I wouldn't then stand bowing and swaying.
With my slender branches I'd press against him,
and with his leaves, whisper day and night.
But it's impossible for an ash tree to move to the oak.
This is its fate- forever alone, swaying

If the translation is wrong, my apologies.  Turns out then that it is appropriate for me to be sad when I hear this song.  I hope the ash and the oak get it together at some point.

Check it out, I just think it is beautiful 


No comments: