I finally resolved my iTunes issue earlier in the week. I had killed another laptop (this one with a glass of sadly very good wine). That was me gone over my 5 authorised computers for my iTunes account so I couldn't buy new stuff for ages (I don't go into shops for music anymore).
So have caught up on a couple of new albums that I missed whilst I was iTunes less.
Reviewers have described this as variously Americana, Folk, The Smiths, Country and R.E.M influenced. I don't see The Smiths influence AT ALL. However, what it is I grant you is a return to form after the brief flirtation with concept (aka self indulgent) album with the ponderous Hazards of Love. The King is Dead is a fine album if you don't know The Decemberists and a good return to form if you do. Please do check it out. However, delve a little into the back catalogue first if you don't know the band as it is some way short of their best. Check out The Mariner's Revenge Song form Picaresque, it is epic!
Manhattan's finest return with another collection of raucous gypsy punk. Again, if you haven't heard Gogol Bordello do check this album out. It is good for sure but I do prefer the two earlier studio albums. I am not hearing any stand out stonkers in Trans-Continental Hustle such as Super Taranta, Start Wearing Purple or Not A Crime, earlier and more memorable offerings.
This cost me £1.19 for 37 tracks which is simply absurd. I bought it primarily for a Mike Waterson track that I discovered years ago through his English folk super group Blue Murder, Rubber Band. This is such a jolly tune! Overall a great collection and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Am I the last person in the world to buy this album? I bought it primarily for Poker Face which I love after seeing a friend perform a marvellous dance to it at her wedding. It's not the kind of stuff I usually listen to and a few tracks pass me by but Poker Face makes me want to DANCE and I can't dance, not at all. Full on fun.
I also bought Kasabian's West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum really because I feel I should own some Kasabian and Adele's 21 because I liked Adele's 19 and she is doing very well for herself. It's excellent for sure but honestly, I prefer the stripped down sound of 19.
My final purchases were Simple Minds's (?) Someone, Somewhere In Summertime (reminds me of school), Take That's Shine (a very happy song) and Plan B's She Said. Apparently Plan B has sold out and glancing at his back catalogue, I can see why rapper purists think that but hey, I like it.
I didn't buy Gnarls Barkley's St. Elsewhere but tonight was the first time I have listened to it (it is from my brother's collection). Check out Just a Thought. Very powerful track.
On the theme of my indulgences that newer isn't always better, I finished off the iTunes spending frenzy with a classic number from Spark's. Play this really loud, whack up your base, get your headphones on and jump, jump, jump around. I am going to the minute I finish this :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment