Friday, 1 July 2011

Stromboli lust - on the search for good food in New York



Few pals and myself are planning a holiday in New York in October.  This will be my second time in Manhattan and I can't wait.  It's the greatest place on earth, I am convinced of it.

My friend is busy trying to get us to take some decisions about hotels and I accept that is important but our other current obsession is making a list of things we simply must eat whilst in New York.  The last time we went to New York my friend felt that she didn't get to eat enough and that this was my fault - I accept and plead guilty to both charges.  This time we are going to eat until we burst.

I have a brief list of 'must haves' for the return trip.  After seeing it featured on Man vs Food, I absolutely must have a Stromboli (spell check wants symbolist but Stromboli it will stay as).  Wikipedia tells me that  
"A stromboli is made with a square shaped pizza dough that can be topped with any pizza toppings and is then rolled into a log and baked"
I need a stromboli I think.  It would really enhance my life to have one.  The other things I want are a taco and a burrito.  I really want to find somewhere in New York that does authentic BBQ and I also want a double dipped sandwich.

Any other suggestions of things that we absolutely must eat and places where we absolutely must eat them would be much appreciated.  You have until late September :-)

4 comments:

dragonsong86 said...

After reading this I was like, "Oh!! I can tell her some places to go!!" But after further contemplation: no, no I can't! lol I've been to NY, but on group trips with a theater club, during which all our meal stops were planned for us, so I had no choice, & I don't even remember where we ate. Which is sad, cuz food is my favorite part of any trip. I was gonna recommend Serendipity 3, cuz I saw it on Food Network years ago & have always wanted to go, but when I looked it up (since I couldn't remember the name!)I found a LOT of bad reviews. :( The only BBQ place I'd recommend is the Salt Lick...but that's not in NYC...it's in Austin Texas! So unless you wanna make a MAJOR detour, I'm afraid I'm no help to you at all! Good chain restaurants that may or may not be in NYC: Panera Bread, Spagetti Warehouse, Ruby Tuesday's, Cold Stone Creamery, Outback Steakhouse.

dragonsong86 said...

Have you never had a taco before? If so this must be rectified at the earliest possible opportunity!!

Jo said...

Not ever :-( Oh that is a blooming good start :-) It is really difficult for us to compare food because you guys don't know what we have but keep them coming. I want a Tweeky (?) Twinky (?) Is Tweeky the wee robot from TV once?

dragonsong86 said...

no clue about a robot, but I do not suggest consuming a Twinkie (snack cake made by Hostess). Twinkies are not real food. I suppose if you feel you must try them once, you must..but don't say I didn't warn you. lol